Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Seriously the best Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting you'll ever make

Okay, let's be honest...is there really anything that doesn't taste good slathered in homemade cream cheese frosting?! I might have embellished the title of these bars a bit but I doubt that if you make them you'll walk away saying that they were not some of the best you've had
Plus, they're easy to make. One of my top fave requirements for a recipe.

Bars:
  • 1 cup oil (you could get healthy and sub 1/2 of the oil for applesauce..just a thought)
  • 2 cups sugar (I'm a fan of cutting down on sugar in recipes but this time I did not...use your judgement)
  • 2 cups pumpkin puree ( or 1- 15oz can)
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon



I so wanted to post a picture of the 'final product' but as soon as they were frosted I cut right into them (to make sure they were safe for everyone else to eat) and totally forgot that I wanted a picture. After I cut a huge hunk out of the pan it wasn't quite pretty enough for a blog pic so you'll just have to trust me that they looked as good as they tasted!

Frosting:

  • 1- 8oz pkg. cream cheese-softened
  • 1 stick room temp. butter (I prefer unsalted and the real thing ~not margarine)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 cups powdered ( or 10x for you PA folks) sugar
Mix all the bar ingredients and blend til smooth. Pour into greased sheet pan (15"x10"). I actually lined my pan with aluminum foil and then greased it and the clean up was so much easier!

Bake at 350 for approx 30 min or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
Cool bars and spread with the frosting. Good luck not consuming multiple bars in one sitting!

**Note: I like to keep these in the fridge. I think they're tastier when cold and obviously they last longer. Just make sure to keep them in a tight fitting container.

5 comments:

Brenda said...

just YUM, YUM, YUM...unnaturally YUMMY

Zondervan Life said...

just stumbled on your cooking blog!! I forgot you went to culinary school, but I think I remember you waiting on mw and someone at the cc school. I can totally see you Rachel Ray"ing" when no one is looking!!!=)

keep posting, i'm gonna convince kendra to make all this stuff!!

Janine said...

These are my absolute fall favorite!! I stumbled across the recipe a few years back and have been addicted ever since!

Oh, and do you take requests?Ha!I need some good winter crockpot recipes? Mine are getting old...

Bradi said...

Neeners, I'll work on getting out the crock pot more and posting some recipes. I actually do have one to add but haven't sat down to write it. I'll do it soon!

Scott and Kathy said...

I'm eating some right now! Great recipe!